Reverse migration

Let me start off with a subject dearest to my heart - 'Reverse migration'. I have heard a lot of stories about migration in the last several years and it is always challenging to make the big decision to move back to one's home land.
As we all know that America has always been the land of tremendous opportunities & talent was rightly recognized, times are quickly changing. When it comes to opportunities, they are every where now and the Global market place has taken a very different direction - the world is now flat, indeed.
In the existing Global economic scenario, new markets are emerging and the whole dynamic of business is changing at a more rapid pace than expected. Countries like China and India have seen significant growth in their GDP (in the neighborhood of 8% per year) over the last couple of years which has driven all the multi-nationals to set up their shops outside of the US. All the major companies had to quickly adapt to this model as it was more profitable and made the best business sense. It is not just the cost factor but the amount of talent one can get was enormous. Technological enhancements have helped this evolution immensely. In the midst of all this, America is losing momemtum on its innovation due to the loss of smart brains. Here is a very interesting article about how America is losing good talent - 'America's Immigrant Brain drain'. I'll try to focus back on my actual subject that I started off with.

Immigrants like me have always had that challenge of making that plunge, it is a big risky move but there is always hope of attaining a set target before you do it. It starts off with 2 or 3 years when you first come to the United States and the equation changes to a variable once you cross that mark - It quickly becomes 'x' + 2 years. The variable keeps expanding based on the situation, it could be driven by a promising opportunity, spouse's job, a new place, kids and the list goes on.
It obviously boils down to what one's priorities and responsibilities are but my personal gig was a little different. Not that anyone is interested to know, but since this is my personal blog - I'll express it anyway. I personally am driven by innovation and I see a lot of room for that here in the US in the midst of a catastrophic economic crisis. According to various studies, most of the innovations emerge during such times and am working on a couple of initiatives that may help businesses and the economy at a smaller scale. I want to contribute to the rebuilding efforts as much as I can and will thrive my best.
Having said all this, I want to spin this topic and open up for some discussion/debate. As much as I agree this is a personal decision and it boils down to what one's priorities are, I still want to get some feedback from my fellow citizens who are in a similar situation to see what would be the most critical factors that help one make that decision to move back to the Home land - Is it the right opportunity? The right time? The family? Security? All of the above? If you have done it already, how have you done it? Please share your comments or pass it on to a friend.

Comments

I am not in the same predicament as you are in.All the same,I give my views as an outsider.
The case you have cited is like that of a runner who had promised to run till the end of the track and then chooses to run on a circular track! One can not find fault with him as he had not declared beforehand as to how many laps he would run!!
The 'X', as is it's nature, continues as a variable.I had a room mate,while studying in the Govt.College of Engineering at Kakinada who is today a celebrity writer besides being an engineer.He wrote a satire about a friend of his who kept on increasing the value of his'X'.
My friend himself has settled in USA! He perhaps never carried an 'X'factor in his mind.
I am of the view that majority of people migrating to USA, although not on a treasure hunt become complacent and get used to the life here carrying only nostalagia about their mother land. However there are quite a few who 'reverse migrate' and work as catalysts of change back home.These are the people that are trying to make India a land of opportunities.Why not emulate them?

--Sivaprasad Tallapragada
DG said…
For my wife and me this expression seem to have reduced down to 'X' + 1 where 'X' continues to be a variable. :)
I will soon find out how much this holds true however, we are now figuring out the next level of detail like schools, residence, and next gig. For my wife and me, the trigger was to come to a consensus on personal priorities including our need for a better work/life balance. As Sivaprasad Tallapragada mentioned already, there are significant opportunities in India to make a personal brand and impact. I am starting to see some very tangible opportunities in public sector, banking, and healthcare that seem to motivate me more in making the move.